In our STEAM class, we started a new project called the “OKgo Video” where we design a set of performance that uses a chain of reaction to create a continuous sequence that will go with our chosen music. We first strategically divided into two groups: the group that’s designing the prototype, and Leo, who independently worked on building the robot because we thought it will be the most time-consuming. We mainly used aluminum foils and cardboard to build our prototype. Finally, we labeled the prototype and drew arrows in order to show the path and orders of the sequence. Last class, we started crafting the actual parts of our sequence. So far, we finished making the seesaw(or catapult) and the basketball hoop.
In the past few weeks, our team brainstormed the ideas for our prototype by successfully collaborating with each other. We have used many resources while working on our prototype. One of them was the internet. We mainly used Youtube for inspirations and ideas when we were planning our sequence. To name some, OKgo music videos, Rube Goldberg Machine videos and few other highly motivating videos that we watched as a class helped us maximize our creativity. We also used different online sources to help us guide our planning. One that I have found the most helpful during the process of designing our prototype was, with no doubt, YouTube. Not only does this video platform have varying types of inspirational videos, but it also gave us the general idea of how our sequence should look like. I hope our team could further utilize these resources for our additional plannings and for the procedure of building our sequence later on. Although we used numerous resources to help us plan our prototype, most of the ideas for our sequence actually came from our original thoughts.
Materialistic resources that we used when we were designing our prototype were cardboard, aluminum foils, glue gun, tape, measuring tools, cutting tools, and etc.
So far, I am somewhat satisfied with what we’ve produced. The reason why I’m not 100% satisfied with our product is because I feel like there could’ve been more art elements in our project. From the beginning, we were aware that our team was rather strong in science and math field and we were not very confident in producing something aesthetic. I hope our team could overcome this challenge and hopefully succeed in making our sequence with more art elements in it.
In the process of working with our teammates, I found myself as a strong collaborator. Our project’s main objective is to produce well-planned out sequence by collaborating with fellow teammates. I think I successfully carried out our objective so far. Especially in the process of designing the prototype for the complex elements in our sequence, our team divided into roles and executed individual tasks or simply helped each other to finish the tasks faster. As a designer, I used my creativity to its fullest to brainstorm and design our sequence. It was a great experience sharing my ideas with my team members. While I was working with my team, I noticed that my style of working differed from my classmates’. I noticed that I tend to go straight to work rather than closely planning out the steps. I found this style of working quite beneficial especially in our group since some of my team members are way too carefully planning. So sometimes, it takes a lot of time to actually start crafting anything. I believe these two styles of working balanced each other out very well and consequently produced a perfect teamwork.
My goal for the rest of this semester is to continue work productively with my team and hopefully create something visually aesthetic. Syncing our sequence with the music is another goal we have as a team. My suggestion to my group was to use a classical music since most of them are not copyrighted, giving us a wider range of music to choose from. Individually, I will try my best to help my team and to ambitiously fulfill my duty no matter what task is given to me.