STEAM E-Room Reflection-Ben Hugh

First of all, for the past two months of STEAM we had numerous small projects: researching about escape rooms, trying a actual escape room, trying a digital breakout, creating a digital break out, and making a small breakout to test out our clues. Each of these projects were small steps leading to design a actual room escape; our final project.

Our class brainstormed on what theme the escape room should be and chose dark fairytales—Alice the Wonderland as our theme. We divided into three groups and every room had different settings from Alice Wonderland; creating a story/flow. My group chose the tea party, so we used google to search up how the tea party in the story looked like. This really helped us to think of the overview of how our room will look like. We created our clues based on the design of our room. This was really important because if we are unclear about how the tea party looks like, the clues wouldn’t blend in well with the theme. This was the only resource we used, however I think it was really helpful since it created a strong base for us to build on; it created a path for us. I guess google will be the most frequently used resource especially when we need help with our scientific clues.

I feel like the mini projects we did helped us a lot. If we were to start from this project, we would’ve been confused since we won’t know what kind of clues to create, and how to use those clues for different kind of locks. But since we practiced multiple times, we now know which direction we have to go. When we were doing our small projects I kind of thought they were pointless and I didn’t really enjoy doing it. However, now I get why we did those projects; it helped a lot. It is always helpful to know which direction we have to go especially in these kinds of projects.

I think this project is a really unique project. I’ve been to multiple escape rooms with my friends and I’ve enjoyed it every single time. I am excited about the fact of how I actually have a chance to build a escape room to give others enjoyment. It is really cool how we use our creativity to build clues and use different kind of locks to unlock it by using the clues we made. Currently our group is planning to use a magnetic lock, the one’s we see often on doors or gates. I always wanted to know how the lock worked and the way build it; I think this is a great chance to relieve my curiosity. Currently the most frustrating task is to come up with clues that contains all the STEAM factors; it is way more challenging than I thought. I think the only way to overcome this frustration is to keep on repeating the thinking and brainstorming process until a good idea comes up.

I personally think that I am a good collaborator; no matter how good or bad my ideas are, I keep on sharing them so my teammates can also consider my ideas and either add on to it or discard it. When my teammates share their ideas, instead of saying things as simple as “thats good” or “thats bad”, I first think about it and give critical feedbacks and also discuss about it on how those ideas would work.

I’m not really a art person, neither can I design things well. However, that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in the field of designing. I always try my best when designing things, for instance, key notes or making templates for a article; it is always a challenge for me. So through this project, I hope I can improve my eye for designing.

I am not a perfect student but I know that I am a good learner. Even if a task is easy or hard I try my best, and if there is a field that I am weak in, I immediately set goals to improve. Not all the time does the result turnout good, but instead of thinking negatively, I just simply try again until I reach the goal.

For rest of the semester my goal is to master using all five STEAM factors. Currently I am having the most trouble with incorporating science into the clues. Even though I have the knowledge from what I learnt from classes, it is hard to actually use those and combine it with rest of the factors. It would be easy if we were able to make each of the clues by using only one factors. However, since we have to include all five factors, it requires more creativity. My goal in the beginning of the year was to incorporate more technology into our projects. I still do think this is important, but I do have some ideas on what to do: magnetic locks. So I think incorporating science is the harder factor since it requires more creativity.