Our process took over the whole semester 1, from the beginning of August when we started discovering what escape rooms were to November when we started designing our own escape rooms. When we were given our groups and started to plan and design our escape rooms, we split the tasks between the members in our groups evenly. My group consisted of four people, Kevin, Jennifer, Steve and myself so we decided to have 4 main tasks in our escape room. We brainstormed ideas and made sure each one of us had a specific role to work on in creating our escape room.
Kevins part were the croquets – he placed the 3 croquets on the floor so that when you look through them from a specific angle you will see a 3 digit code. With that 3 digit code you can unlock the box and get one out of the three prisms.
Steves part were the dominos – with his you were given a sheet of paper on the table, and with that sheet you had to match the dominos with the dominos slide that was projecting on the wall from a Keynote. On the sheet of paper 3 dominos were missing. When the slideshow projected the slide of the dominos you had to quickly match the sheet with the slide so that you could see what were the missing numbers. When you figured out the 3 missing numbers you could put them into the lock to unlock the second box with the second prism inside.
My part of the escape room were the cards. I made a riddle that I had printed out and stuck on the table next to the scattered cards. With the riddle, the participants should have understood that they had to put the cards in a specific order. After participants have put the cards in the specific order, they would see a 5 digit code. When they plug that code into the third box they will receive the last and final prism.
Finally, Jennifers part was the key wall. Her section of the room was the final section. When the participants had collected all 3 prisms from unlocking the 3 boxes they would place them on the table with the outline of the prisms already placed. Once they aligned the prisms correctly they would press on the laser that was also taped onto the table. The beam from the laser would reflect of each of the prisms and shine directly onto one specific key on the key wall. With that key they could go to the door and unlock the final lock to escape our room!
Our biggest challenge was making sure the placement of the prisms were perfectly aligned. We noticed that even a millimeter would effect the position of the beam of light which would cause the light to not shine on the correct key. Another problem were the locks. In the beginning they did not work as well as we had hoped, however by the time of the Open day they were all working well.
We really enjoyed creating our escape room and were very happy with the outcome.