Our planning took over the whole semester; after the visit of Mr.X(escape room in ShenZhen) and few mini projects of STEAM, starting November, our group researched about basic idea of an escape room. This included ‘follow’ and ’like’ on Instagram post that featured escape room idea, searching escape room homepage all around the world, comment and ’like’ on Youtube video of people solving problems in different themes/type/level escape room. After all these research, we focused on the idea “how do we incorporate each aspect of STEAM to our clues?”.
Deigning an escape room was more complicated than we imagined. It required lot of critical thinking, and numerous ideas that needed to be linked together. We also had to consider our ideas in different perspectives so others can understood perfectly. This was something frustrating. We had bunch of ideas—that were all unique—but there were no ways to put all together. So we took this problem differently: instead of everyone adding and eliminating their ideas with others, everyone come up with a idea that is an aspect of STEAM. (For example, A has to create or modify his/her idea to Science while B has to create or modify his/her clue to Technology) It worked well.
Our group, Kevin Hannah Steve and me, each with unique and focused on different aspects. The main objective was each lock (three) opened the box with the prisms. Once all 3 prisms are collected, you place them on the table with the outline of the prisms already placed. Once they aligned the prisms correctly they would press the laser on the table and a light will be shown through them and shine the correct key on the wall in order to escape the room. Every one designed different lock, except I designed the last step which is designing places where 3 prisms go and the door lock. Steve idea consist of dominos: you were given a sheet of paper on the table and with that sheet you had to match the dominos with the dominos life that’s projecting on the wall from a keynote. Kevin’s part was croquet: he placed the 3 croquets so that when you look through them from a certain angle, you will see a 3 digit number, which you use that code to unlock the box and get one out of three prism. Hannah’s was you organise the deck of cards in a particular order, once you placed them correctly, a 5 digit number appear and you enter that number to the lock to find the last prism.
One of the biggest challenge we faced was that our final step, which is to collect all prisms and place them in the order which the laser light will direct to a certain key to unlock the door, did not work. It was a big threat since it was two day before the final showcase. We watched tutorials and asked “experts” and tried different methods to know what was the problem. Then we noticed that even a millimetre would effect the angle of the light and will not work. By end of the day, however, we did sort out the problem and it wen well during the exhibition.