Last Friday we took a trip to Evergreen Park and whilst the children were on a mission to take photos of various parts of the walk and discover new and interesting things…I too was snapping away, both video and photos. Whilst I did not capture everyone, I did, with the help of KC create a ‘story’ based on our trip. As part of our SIS elearning goal we are aiming to integreate technology in and around the classroom and one of my own personal goals is to make our class as transparent as possible….here is one way to do that!!
‘Hollywood estimates that for every 1 minute of video there is an hour worth of filming/composing/editing involved.’
YES…I agree and with that and plus, plus, plus!!
But was it worth it as I sit back and now look at the finished product…”YES” I say, even said with a little smile!!
How did this project evolve….
1. The kindergarten class went on a field trip to a rainforest
2. They had a specific focus of looking at trees (our current science topic)
3. They used iPads to take photos of specific criteria (as seen in the iMovie)
4. Whilst they were moving in and around the rainforest I captures small video clips of their journey (yes…I forgot to turn my iphone around so the video clips are all small – but I learned for next time :p )
5. I also captured some photos of them as well as using some of the photos they took as well
6. I didn’t want to just make a movie of “what we did” so I asked them to reflect on what we did and in particular some of the more ‘interesting moments and discoveries’. They drew their reflections when we returned on Friday and I also took notes of their reflections.
7. As they talked I jotted down some notes of ideas to help me frame the story sequence
8. I then began to create…
9. Along the way I changed my idea about the photos and made them all black and white with a splash of colour, in particular highlighting our school colours and logo as well as key parts of the photo that matched the storyline – this added to my Hollywood estimate time by 100%, but I like the effect.
10. My goal is to eventually have the KG children create their own movie (which they do now but with more of ‘story’ to it and to help them learn some key points about digital literacy). At this point however, they are using the photos they took and creating a ‘story’ of their journey / trip using haiku deck (see the ‘in process’ photos below). We started this process today. Ask them about it!
Their final presentations will be posted once they are completed.
11. FINAL STORY…grab your popcorn!! (Click on the link below to see our movie)
@KC5101 Takes a Trip!