Please see the following list of goals for a solid overview of what your child will be working toward this school year. Thank you for all your support at home!
- read books with simple patterns.
- know the letter names and the sounds the letters make.
- show understanding of what they’ve read by retelling story details, making predictions, and sequencing story events.
- read the list of kindergarten sight words (please see the back of your child’s red folder).
- select age-appropriate books for themselves.
- demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of print.
- write their own name neatly using upper and lower case letters.
- use punctuation when writing.
- form words using the beginning, middle, and ending sounds when writing.
- read their own writing.
- use both upper and lower case letters, when appropriate.
- write two to three sentences on a given topic or writing prompt.
- count to and beyond 100.
- read, write, and solve simple addition and subtraction sentences.
- identify a variety of two- and three-dimensional shapes.
- identify and extend an existing pattern, as well as create their own patterns.
- describe and use time periods relative to a day.
- sort objects according to a variety of rules.
- create graphs and analyze the data.
- identify various forms of currency and their values.
- work with friends to solve problems.
- take turns during free play and share common toys in the classroom.
- independently take care of their own personal needs.
- be able to speak about themselves in front of a small group.
- be respectful to their teachers and fellow students.
- be aware of their physical boundaries.