We have recently reviewed partner reading skills and tried to focus on some specific skills…
Partners look like this…
1. Partners sit/lie side by side
2. The book is in the middle or where all can see it
3. Readers check listeners are ready
4. Listeners coach readers using reading superpowers prompts, where needed, rather than ‘gifting’ the word
5. We talk about the book (either discussing the characters, setting, plot, making a text to self connection or a text to tex connection)
Having this review has really helped our partner reading be more successful!
We have spent some time evaluating our partner reading and how we can improve. During partner reading last week I took photos of the children during partner reading.
Midway through partner reading time we stopped and I showed the class the photos I had taken. We reviewed them and discussed how each partner pairing could improve or if they were doing a great job of partner reading we celebrated that and focused on exactly what were the good points.
We then moved back into partner reading and using our recent feedback we tried again, making the necessary changes.
A wonderful form of constructive feedback for the class.