Writing and Reading – We have been reading historical fiction books and noticing the details that reveal the time period in which our books take place. These details can include differences in the clothing, food, technology, and transportation between then and now. This week students will begin researching a chosen time period and think of a story arc in preparation for creating a Green Screen video which will be the final project for this unit. Once finished with their story arcs, students will begin creating their scripts and storyboards.
Math – Students are learning about different division methods. Last week we reviewed the concept of division using counters and learned the array and area model methods of division. This week students are learning partial quotients and the standard algorithm methods of division. We are also practicing word problems and how to interpret remainders. Students who have not yet mastered their basic math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) should continue to practice daily using a math app or flashcards.
Social Studies – We will complete our unit on Migration with our SIS Immigration Checkpoint activity on Level 5 this Tuesday. Students have been placed in mixed class groups, each of which will be a “family” that is trying to migrate to a mythical, perfect country called Utopia. In preparation, students will need to be ready to answer some questions and to develop a backstory for their characters regarding their country of origin, occupation, health, and income.
Word Study – We are utilizing our knowledge of English grammar to find errors in writing.
Please click for our December Calendar: December 2017-y6d6c0
Be sure to ask your child about all the great work they have been doing this week:
- Writing – We have been writing persuasive essays using the five paragraph format. Students chose a topic, took a stance, and did some research to support their argument. Topics included homework, helping the environment, and smoking. They are now writing all five paragraphs independently.
- Reading – We have begun our non-fiction reading unit. Students have chosen non-fiction books to read and have started to make connections to their own lives when reading them.
- Math – November is Multiplication Month in grade 4! Students should be practicing their multiplication facts every night. In school, we have learned about the formula to find area and perimeter. We have started to multiply single-digit by multi-digit numbers.
- Word Study – We have been practicing the 100 “No Excuse” words. We have been defining and writing sentences with these words as well as practicing writing them in “word boxes”.
- Science/Social Studies – We have officially finished our science unit on Energy. The final assessment was created using iMovie. We have already started our next social studies unit, Migration. We have learned about push and pull factors.
Click below for the November calendar: