During teacher professional learning days many parents wonder what we actually do that requires children to stay at home and not come to school.
Here is a quick overview of the recent PL days at SIS and how teachers collaborated together to provide the best learning environment for our students. For more details and snapshots visit #sisrocks on twitter.
1. We spent time in Action Teams – various groups that focus on specific areas for development within the school. During these professional discussion and work session teachers collaborated, discussed and formed plans for how their team will advance the school towards it’s 20/20 vision which in effect will enhance learning at SIS.
2. We also worked in our own divisions (EC / ES / MS / HS) to focus on developing the curriculum, hearing about specific programs such as ‘Real Spelling’ from an invited consultant – Peter Bowers and deciding on assessment tasks for various units.
3. Staff participated in learning more about ‘Innovation’ by being able to choose from a menu of 6 innovative tools that could be used in the classroom, to enhance professionalism and communication and to leverage how learning can occur.
4. Professional debates focusing on whether Technology Improves Student Learning allowed for the staff to collaboratively work together in large groups of 45+ using a very detailed plan – experiencing very similar situations that we ask our children to be a part of everyday! It gave everyone first hand knowledge of what that feels like, how to develop leadership and how to decide on roles, as well as how to articulate a task and be able to plan accordingly.
5. Finally more work in divisions that focused around implementing goals set by SIS: 20/20 with the sole purpose of making SIS a better learning environment for all!
So were we busy? YES!
So was it productive? YES!
So was it beneficial to children’s learning? YES!
So was it worth it? YES!
Thank you parents for spending quality time with your children so we could spend quality time engaging in professional learning that will ultimately benefit your child!