What does happen during ‘circle time’ in a Nursery class?
Our three wonderful Nursery teachers Ms Naama, Ms Cheryl and Ms Jenny do an amazing job of gathering their class of 2-3 years olds together to focus on various skills, song and stories for a focused learning time – each day!!
See what this looks like and what skills children are learning as they participate in circle time each day.
Even after many years in Education I continue to be amazed by what young children can do and especially what their teachers organise and plan…
* Cooking in Nursery – yes 2 year olds! Is it possible? For sure – see here for a wonderful example in Ms Naama’s class.
They are developing math skills, fine motor skills, communication skills, turn taking, following instructions…too many to list!
* In Ms Jenny’s class they have been focusing on Wellbeing:
Strand One – Well-Being: Children experience an environment where: their health is promoted, their emotional wellbeing is nurtured; they are kept safe from harm.
In particular various emotions. What a better way to show their learning than by doing it with food! See their food faces here!
* In Mr Cruz’s class they focused on collaborating with and EC2 class (Ms Ann’s class). By collaborating with each other the older children learn how to communicate with younger children and vice versa. The younger children also learn important skills from their older friends – they celebrated their first collaboration today with a BBQ – creating a memorable first experience!
* We are so fortunate this year that EC1 & EC2 are working with Ms Wilson, the High School PE teacher to devise programs suitable for our children’s developmental level. In EC1A – Ms Rachael’s class this week they focused on ball skills. This was in collaboration with older students who helped scaffold their learning as well as a bonus for them to learn how to work with younger children! A win win for all! See PE in action here.
* The library is another place EC children are able to visit and on occasion we are lucky enough to have Mrs Livingston, the librarian, read to the children. See how captivated EC2B Ms Lindsay’s class are here as they listen to a story. Visiting the library gives children a whole new world to explore literacy and helps them understand they are part of the bigger school community that uses the library, therefore learning how to take care of this environment and the books in it!