WHAT ARE WIDGETS AND WHAT ARE THEY USED FOR?
(from Edublogs User Guide)
The term widget refers to any tool or content that you add, arrange or remove from the sidebar(s) of your blog — these are the blocks that make up your sidebar.
How widgets are used
Widgets are used for a wide range of purposes including:
- Help students, parents and visitors find information on the blog e.g. Search widget, pages widget, category widget, tag widget (learn more about categories and tags here)
- Track visitors to the blog. Visitor tracking widgets are used to highlight a blog’s global audience. This can be incredibly motivating for students and provides a built in geography lesson. e.g. ClustrMaps, Flag Counter, Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
- Student engagement e.g. Quiz widgets, Pet widgets
- Links to helpful resources, student blogs and other class blogs e.g. Links widget
- Events Calendar for important dates e.g. Google Calendar
- Book lists e.g. Shelfari bookshelf
- Email notification of new posts e.g. email subscription widget
- Displaying comments or posts recently posted e.g recent comments widget, recent posts widget