Who we are
|A caring and secure environment connect learners to their community.|
Lines of inquiry:
1. Their own responsibilities at school
2. What makes a caring and secure environment
3. Different parts of the school community
- Connection – How is it connected to other things?
- Responsibility – What is our responsibility?
family relationships, safety, classroom agreements, school-life & routines, inclusiveness
Community, responsibility, friends, job, respect,
At the beginning of this school year, our first unit, Who We Are, focuses on how our students recognize and take part in a caring and secure environment, to connect them to our community. We will be exploring family relationships, school community, and classroom inclusion and responsibilities. Through exploring this unit, our students will be exposed and involved in classroom decision makings, learning about our personal and class responsibilities, following our routines, making connections and interacting with our peers and to show caring for our classroom environment
We are constantly exposing the children to their own name in print as well as their children’s names. A lot of labels are in the class to expose them to literacy. We are reading to them every day, at least 2 times a day, especially those that talk about our responsibility to care for others and how to make others and ourselves, safe.
We are beginning to expose our students to count how many children are in the class, by counting each of the children in class using one-to-one correspondence.
How you can help at home:
- Let your child take care of cleaning up his or her belongings
- Talk about who are the people in your community to your child
- Read books to your child about respecting others, using respectful words and keeping our selves and our peers safe and healthy
- Show your child seesaw posts about them and talk to your child about their friends, as well as what we do in the classroom community
- Count with them, especially tangible objects to expose them to one-to-one correspondence