Today is your child’s first day of reading homework. Each day, Monday through Thursday, your child will bring home a book to read to you. Your child has practiced these books at school, so they should be able to read it independently. Remember, reading includes a variety of factors…
- One to one correspondence: point to each word that is spoken
- Fluency: read at a nice, even pace, paying attention to punctuation marks.
- Comprehension: remember and discuss what was read.
- Expression: changing the tone of one’s voice to make the text sound more interesting when read aloud.
Here are some guidelines you can use when your child is reading…
- hold the book
- turn the pages
- point to the words
- care for the book
- put the book back in their take-home bag when finished
- listen to your child read
- ask questions about the book
- be encouraging
- give your child time to think about and correct their own errors before helping them
Child and parent together:
- sit together in a reading friendly location
- have a conversation about the book
- enjoy your time together
Thank you for supporting our Kindergarten literacy program. If you have any questions, please ask.