Here’s a look at what’s happening for the Month of May:
READING- continuing with our read aloud fiction book called “Hatchet” by Gary Paulson. This a young adult realistic fiction novel and it’s the story of a young boy trying to survive in the wilderness by himself. Also, we are continuing with our Book Clubs and students are sharing ideas and discussions about their reading.
- “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” by C.S. Lewis
- “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’engle
- “Go Free or Die” (A story about Harriet Tubman) by Jeri Ferris
- “The Sign of the Beaver” by Elizabeth George Speare
UOI – Our last unit of the year is “Sharing the Planet” (ENERGY) and our Central Idea: The need for ENERGY sparks INNOVATION, CREATIVITY and PROBLEM SOLVING. Our Lines of Inquiry: 1. Energy converted into different forms of ENERGY. 2. People’s need for energy affects the environment in different ways. 3> People must take innovation action in order to conserve the Earth’s resources. We’ll be doing different kinds of investigations which will lead up to our summative.
WRITING- we are learning how to doLiterary Responses in Literature. It’s the understanding and knowledge gained from a specific reading. We will be analyzing the main topics, themes and ideas presented in the story into our own perspectives. Also, we will be focusing on Genres of Poetry, a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language.
MATH- Module 6 and 7 are a combination of Decimals, Fractions, Measurements and some Geometry.
FYI: of Events coming up
- May 10- Art Show
- May 14- Teacher’s Appreciation Day
- May 14- MAP Test (Reading)
- May 16- MAP Test (Math)
- May 21- MAP Test (Language)
- May 22-ECC Mountainside Art Show
- May 23- Student Led Conferences (NO SCHOOL) (Sign-up Genius)
- May 27-NO SCHOOL
“I THINK I CAN. I KNOW I CAN.” -everyday power