Important Upcoming Dates
- Thursday, May 9: Field Trip to SWIS’ Grade 5 PYP Exhibition (Lunch will be in the classroom at 11:50; all students need to bring lunch)
- Thursday, May 9: All School Community Reception, Opening Ceremony, and SIS Visual & Performing Arts Show at G&G Creative Community at 5:00-8:30pm
- Friday, May 10: Students will visit the SIS Visual & Performing Arts Show (5B will be leaving SIS at 11:40am)
- Tuesday, May 21: Transition to Bayside field trip (info coming soon)
- Thursday, May 23: Student Led Conferences (No school – Sign Up Genius link will be coming soon)
- Friday, May 24: Field trip with Grade 6 to KoolFly (info coming soon)
- Monday, May 27: Professional learning day for teachers (No school for students)
- Thursday, May 30: Field trip to ISNS’ PYP Exhibition
- Friday, May 31: Trimester 3 ASAs finish
- Tuesday, June 4: Sharing of the Exhibition beginning at 3:00pm (You won’t want to miss the Opening Ceremony; info and invitations coming soon)
- Wednesday, June 5: Sharing of the Exhibition during the school day
- Wednesday, June 12 (time TBD): Grade 5 Moving Up Ceremony and Potluck Lunch
- Thursday, June 13: Grade 5 pizza party and pool party
- Friday, June 14: Early dismissal at 11:30am (Last day of school)
As you can see above, these last 6 weeks are going to fly by quickly. Please add these dates to your calendar.
We have finished our reading and writing units for the year. I will be sending home the assessments from these units as they are graded. For the rest of the year, the students will be using the skills they have learned all year to help them research their PYPx Exhibition topic.
In mathematics, we took the Unit 6 test and made corrections as needed. Students were also given the option to reassess on questions they had missed. I will be sending home these assessments with the attached rubrics next week.
Our next and final mathematics unit is on coordinating graphs and using them to find patterns and solve real world problems.
Our main focus for the next 5 weeks is on the SIS PYPx exhibition. Students have been put into their groups or are working individually. They have also been assigned a mentor. Groups are researching an issue that is connected to one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. After researching, they will come up with an action plan to address this issue. It is an exciting but busy time.