Items Students Need at School
Please make sure your child comes to school everyday with the following items:
- water bottle
- healthy snack
- iPad (fully charged with headphones!)
- bug spray (optional)
Your child is the most important person in our partnership. If you need to give me any information regarding your child, email is the best way of communicating with me. However, if you feel you need to speak with me, it is important that you make an appointment in advance. I often have meetings and other commitments before and after school. By making an appointment, I will be able to give you the full attention you deserve.
The way I will be communicating with you is through this class blog and the We Chat group “Class 5C 2018-2019” (for important information affecting all parents). I will be using your email to subscribe to this blog so you get automatic updates whenever I post something. If your email changes, please let me know. You can also subscribe on your own by scrolling down to the bottom of this blog.
- Be aware of any missed or incomplete work (check email and desk basket)
- Be prepared for class (backpack, water bottle, homework, library books, etc.)
- 30 minutes of reading each night (EAL students should be reading more than this amount!) and sometimes 10 additional minutes of math or another subject
- Incomplete work becomes homework or is completed during recess
- Keeping desk basket organized and work area neat
- Keeping iPad charged and apps and documents organized
**Please encourage responsibility by giving your child chores at home, not just schoolwork!
Managing the iPad at Home
- Make sure that the iPad is charged nightly in a different area from where your child sleeps. No one should be on past 8:00pm!
- Make sure that your child is following the Family Device Agreement that he/she signed.
- Only teacher-approved apps should appear on the iPad (located on 5C class blog!)
- If your child is abusing his/her iPad privileges, TAKE IT AWAY and let the teacher know!
Celebrations and Birthdays
- Please let the teacher know a few days in advance!
We welcome birthday treats, but prefer that they be dropped off at the start of the day to the classroom. Please, no gifts. Treats will usually be served at 2:45 p.m. but that may change depending on the day. Please make sure the treats are in individual servings and come with napkins. There is not enough time in the day to cut a whole cake. We also don’t have knives to do so. Thank you for understanding.
If your child has food allergies, it is recommended that you send in a supply of suitable snacks that can stay in the classroom so your chid has a special treat he/she can eat so he/she doesn’t feel left out.
We currently have 21 students.
Absences and Dismissals
- If your child is absent, please email or WeChat the teacher as well as calling the ES office.
- If your child is not riding the bus on a certain day, please contact Laurie Chen (email@example.com) so she can let the bus drivers know!
- If your child is being picked up by someone else or going home with another child, please let me know or your child will not be allowed to leave!
Student Home Environment
It is important that your child have:
- A regular bedtime so that they get enough sleep
- A healthy breakfast in the morning (lunch is later this year!)
- A healthy snack (no candy, cookies, or chocolate please!)
- A quiet place to work that is free of distractions (this will hopefully be the same place each day!)