I was paired up with Thomas and Aiden, and we were assigned to create a prosthetic hand for Mr. Bycraft. Before we planned to brainstorm we sat down with our client and discussed what he wanted in a new prosthetic hand. During our discussion, Mr. Bycraft told us that he was interested in biking, and weightlifting and other sorts of hobbies. Afterward, my team and I brainstormed possible ideas for Mr.Bycraft’s new hand, until we settled to a good plan. Our final plan was to create a clamp-like prosthetic which will give our client the ability to not only bike, but to also weight lift.
Our group didn’t manage our time well enough, and we happened to spend class hours without planning an agenda or organizing our whole group. However, we did manage to re-organize ourselves and eventually we were locked in a tight rope with deciding which of the two ideas we wanted to decide on moving fourth.
Our first idea was a half donut shaped structure that pressed against an object, the bottom of the prosthetic would cover part of his forearm. This would give our client the convenience he needed to quickly latch on to the bar. However, the idea was very harmful in its ability to keep our client safe from any accidents that might occur, such as our client accidentally slipping his hand which could injure other parts of his body. Furthermore, because of this fallacy we decided to progress with our second idea.
Our second idea is similar a go-pro mount. The mount would clamp together and will be sealed with a screw. Its bottom structure would extent down, connecting to a part of the prosthetic that covers the forearm. We decided to roll with this idea because of the increased safety of our client, Mr.Bycraft, and also because of its dual-use of biking and weightlifting.
Fast forward a couple of days. We finally created a prototype to proceed with identifying any further issues in the design and functionality of our prosthetic hand for Mr.Bycraft. Luckily, we couldn’t find any issues with our first prototype, except for the wonky 3-D print strips.