For our Unit Project, we handled with lego robotics. My group started to handle with ultrasonic wave sensors. Ultrasonic waves are waves at a frequency we, humans can’t hear. These waves are sent out, but when an object is hit by these waves they bounce off back to the thing that sent the waves. This is a technique used in eco-location, now, eco-location is used by different types of animals such as bats and dolphins. Animals use eco-location to give them a clear overview of their surroundings. And this is being used to develop cars which can send waves to detect if anything is in the cars’ way. With this tech being developed, we (humans) are a step closer to having safer roads.
Now, moving on to the lego robotics. The goal of this project was to get the ultrasonic sensor to work by putting a solid object in it’s way to see if it stopped or not. As we were on the testing grounds, we stumbled upon a problem. Our lego brain block that stored the code for our ultrasonic test was having some errors in operating the test. Our robot would keep bumping into things; the sensor didn’t seem to work. Our group tried many things to solve this big issue. We tried to restart our brain block, we checked if the wheels were rubbing on the end, we also rewired the cables connecting to the motors and sensor. We were more focusing on the physical robot itself, but not on the code we downloaded. After that, We tried to download the code to our brain again. And what do you know? It worked. To be honest, it was very frustrating to find a solution to the error we had, because we tried all the possible solutions, but we thought harder and soon figured out what the problem was.
Summary of project: For our first project on STEAM, my team and I (Jade and Eva) we’re supposed to 1) Build a robot out of legos 2) Set up Mindstorm EV3 for the code to insert into the robot we built.
The goal was to get our robot from point A to point B. We could only use the code we would generate on my computer to make the robot proceed to point B.
Eva was in charge with building the robot; Jade and I we’re in charge of getting the right materials to provide for Eva.
3 classes later, I set up my computer for Lego Mindstorms to build the code needed for the objective. After that, Eva and Jade went to the track to calculate their measurements while I would edit the code. Between finishing the robot and setting the code, we had minor issues with our robot. Apparently we were using the wrong folder for our code.
At the end of the project, our robot got to the closet to the line.
Application of knowledge: For Science class, the project was to pick a chromosomal disease, research about it, and create a presentation for the students and teachers to see. My application of knowledge towards the presentation was proficient. I had created a script that represented my knowledge of the subject to be professional.
Analyzing and interpreting data: As I was researching and collecting data for my presentation I delved in detailed research about my chromosomal disease to give the best and detailed package to my audience.
Modelling: For the modeling element I used in my presentation, I used the whiteboard to my advantage to give my audience a flawless diagram of where the chromosomal disease takes place, where the symptoms are p, and how many people were affected by it.
Structure and Function: The structure and function of my presentation is strong and can be understood to a kindergartner. My presentation is organized and understood very easily. I start out with the disease, where is it, how it’s caused, how many people, and the rate.
Stability and Change: On the course of having an audience listen to my presentation, I managed to not only memorize my script, but to change how I presented it too. When a young audience was placed at my station, I would give a clear but knowledge heavy explanation of my chromosomal disease. And I did the same with older clients.